Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Friday, April 07, 2006

my skin crawls too

i admit it, i lied. when i said that really only three important things happened in vermont over the weekend, i left out one major thing. mostly i wanted to dedicate an entire post to it. also, i forgot.

the news? the baby, now she crawls.


one day she couldn't crawl, the next she could.

and just like that, full mobility achieved. life as we knew it has ended.

for a few days it was clear that she could see what she wanted to do, she just couldn't figure out how. she would lay on her belly and push herself backwards. she would get up on her knees and then do a faceplant. she would be sitting up and then suddenly lurch forward, as if to chase one of the cats, only to become perplexed as to what to do next.

(true story: once she was cruising, propped up against the couch, when the cat walked past her. she grabbed the cat's tail. the cat took off running. the baby held on tight and got a free ride halfway across the apartment. i was too busy laughing to save her.)

anyway, now she can crawl. it's so weird to see her do something new. it's ridiculously cute, her little body all balled up and inching along. but mostly it's just plain incongruous with our current understanding of her as a floppy fishbaby -- one morning, sitting with her omi and opi, she saw something she wanted. so she up and crawled right over and grabbed it. how dare she?!

worse: now she can pull herself up too. what's next? walking? more than once, when i have gone to get her after her nap, i've found her standing in the crib! we had to instantly replace our rickety old tv stand because she kept using it to heave herself off the ground, promising to someday entertain us with a live-action reenactment of bambi meets godzilla.

i can't tell you how many times i have placed her on the floor so i could do some chore, like empty the dishwasher or pour myself eight fingers of brandy. i turn my back for about 12 seconds and when i turn around again to check on her, she's standing! do you have any idea how creepy this is? it's like i'm living in a japanese horror movie.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sarah, Goon Squad Sarah said...

Just wait until she starts talking back. The horror!

4/07/2006 9:46 AM  
Blogger Kristie said...

My son never really learned to crawl. He would roll across the room. Then one day he started sort of crawling. Later that day, he pulled himself up and was "table-walking". Then, even later that day, he decided he didnt need no stinking table, he walked all by himself. In the course of one day! and he was only 10 months old. I was sure i had more time before that kind of mobility. So now that your's is crawling, beware, walking is right around the corner!!

4/07/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Walking is right around the corner unless you have a baby like mine! Almost 18 months old and prefers walking on her knees. She can take steps, but not many and then she's back to the dreaded knee-walk. I tell you, at this point it would just be better if she got up and walked! She can already get into everything anyway... (My son walked late, too - 15 months - and I have to say it was a relief!) Walking isn't any worse than cruising, IMO.

4/07/2006 10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born with hip dysplasia, and was in a brace (then a cast, then a brace) from the waist down for the first two years of my life. My mom says that, when she had my brother five years later, she was SHOCKED. "With you, I could just set you down somewhere and you'd be right there when I got back."

4/07/2006 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shhhh... I'm trying to live in denial right now and your post isn't helping. My baby girl will never crawl, she will always stay right where I put her. I don't want to hear anything different, my brain is too full to deal with it right now!

4/07/2006 11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTL! Yes, I remember it well. When my nephew was learning to crawl, he couldn't quite manage the arms at first so he would he plow his way across the blanket, nose-first. Then he began crawling proper and nothing was safe. --RLR

4/07/2006 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the crawling! Love your blog, stumbled upon it on an internet search for hemangioma, as my 9 wk old daughter has one on her lip. We're in laser mode and all that - but enjoyed reading your archives, because I have been reacting just like Mrs. Nice Guy did and my husband is just like you were. We are going to try some of your clever responses to "What's wring with her nose - or in our case - lip!"

4/07/2006 10:23 PM  
Blogger Mama Grouch said...

Coming to your blog is like looking into a time warp that lets me see what my life is going to be like 6 months from now. I watch in horrified fascination, unable to turn away.

I am personally banking on the fact that The Creep's head is too big to let him crawl or walk. I think I can get an extra month or two out of him while he figures out how to balance the thing on his neck.

4/08/2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, you are soooo right. Life as you know it is gone. It just gets worse. One day I found the first born in the middle of the dining room table lapping up the butter in the butter dish. Crawl I knew, climb was a BIG surprise. He didn't do it again--at least I don't think--but the dog sure used that technique in the future.

4/08/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

Want to feel better? At least you don't have twins. Ours are at that rocking on hands and knees stage.

Our cat is in for some serious trouble (as are the parents).

4/10/2006 12:18 AM  
Blogger Roasted Squid said...

Word of warning, start baby proofing now! Like baby nice guy, my son only wanted to cruise or hold our hands while we walk behind him like the hunchback of notre dame. He did finally learn how to crawl but that, alas, was only a brief, brief phase and by 10.5 months he was walking, my god, walking! You've never seen gates go up faster in your life.

4/10/2006 2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time to update! we are waiting....

4/11/2006 2:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home