Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Friday, June 16, 2006

maceo! we want you to blow!

when mrs nice guy was knocked up, we had no idea whether we were having a boy or a girl. when we were thinking about names, we were unanimous on which girl's name we liked. for some reason we just couldn't see eye-to-eye on boys' names. she was quite partial to Ezra, for example. Ezra! i, on the other hand--or perhaps i should say "on the good foot"--really, really, really (really) had my heart set on one boy name only. if we had a son i wanted to name him him Maceo.

this was not a popular choice around my house and i reasoned that all it would take to get her to come around would be to take her to see Maceo Parker whenever he came through town. well, last night Maceo Parker came through town. and he brought the funk by the greasy bucketful. and it was free.



sadly, mrs nice guy has been out of town all week. i miss her. there are many ways in which she is missed. one critical way in which she is missed is that i may have completely blown my last chance to name any future son of ours Maceo. if she had seen the show, she surely would have walked away all abuzz. she'd have been drunk on the funk. she'd want to take me home for some sweet, sweet son-creating. and she would want to name that son Maceo.

i mean, just look at him:



i am getting ahead of myself.

basically, yesterday was the opening concert of prospect park's always excellent "Celebrate Brooklyn" concert series. i hired a baby sitter and i went alone because all of my non-baby having friends either "had plans" or didn't want to "trek out to brooklyn" because they didn't have a "valid passport" and also because they "hate me." whatevs. i went alone to see the funkfather.

i ran into my neighbor on the way over and he had never heard of Maceo! so i explained who Maceo is. and i told him not to come if he wasn't in the mood for a life-changing funkpiphany. he pondered this for about .00008 seconds.

so Maceo played for free -- there was a "suggested donation" of $3. i coughed up 10. i'm a high roller like that. it was a beautiful night. we (neighbor man came along and bought me beers and i like him) got there about 30 seconds before Maceo hit the stage and scored a sweet spot in the crowd. and then Maceo brought the funk. and the lord saw that it was good.



he played a hell of a set -- "Gimme Some More," "Funky Good Time," and "Think (About It)" sung by some poor man's Lyn Collins. there was some newer stuff too, some pretty decent rapping by Maceo's son, i think. the band was so sick i suspect they were rushed to new york methodist hospital right after the show. Maceo, i believe, is older than my dad but he can bust a move that could put Usher out of business.

so the audience was pleased. i was pleased. by the end of his set the bandshell area was freakin' packed -- i had never seen that many people there for a show. everyone stood and clapped for a while, hoping for an encore. a few eager beavers started filing out, hoping to dodge the ensuing clusterfuck.

boy, that was a mistake.

after several minutes of audience clapping, the band finally made its way back onto the stage. the crowd was pleased anew. "yay," we all said. "more maceo!" only maceo wasn't immediately visible. it appeared that the band had returned, but they didn't bring maceo!

you know who they did bring?

they brought prince.

i will let you recover from that for a minute. shake it off, stretch your legs a minute. maybe you need to read that sentence again? go back and reread it. let it seep into your brain. here, it was such a joy to type the first time that i'll do it again: THEY BROUGHT PRINCE.

the nanosecond that all 3'8" of His Purpleness (dressed in white with Jackie O sunglasses on) slinked onto the stage, the crowd went absolutely batshit bananas insane bonkers crazy. i couldn't even hear anything for the first couple minutes because i was too busy yelling "WHAAAAT!?" and "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!!?" and generally failing to process anything that was happening.

but there he was: prince. a total surprise freebie mini-baby prince set. he played something off his new album, definitely in the vein of his old-school "musicology" JB funk sound, which i happen to dig like a steam shovel. he made love to us all. frankly, it didn't matter what he played. he could have walked right up on stage and taken a dump for all i cared. it was prince! he pranced, gyrated, grinded and grunted. one of the great concert moments of my life -- i'm still buzzing off of it. and it truly breaks my heart that mrs nice guy missed it.

actually, it's probably ok that she missed it. if we do have a son some day, she may well have wanted to name him prince. which is almost as bad as ezra.

more and better pics here.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prince???!!!

That would have really cranked my tractor.

Damn.

6/16/2006 6:36 PM  
Blogger bernalgirl said...

Wow, and I was excited about Maceo. When you first started, I was all like, "Does he mean THE Maceo?" And you did. And it was good. I'm pretty sure Maceo won't be coming to the Bernal Hill Festival (or Prince, either).

6/16/2006 6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all due respect to Mrs nice guy:
your blog makes me want to have millions of your babies. You are too funny.

6/16/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger mr. nice guy said...

well you know, anonymous, that -- all due respect to mrs nice guy -- mrs nice guy is out of town until tomorrow ...

6/16/2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Prince rocks my world. I caught his Musicology tour (second row, thank you Ebay). Best concert of my life. The man has TALENT.

6/16/2006 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ezra is not, repeat, not, a good name, prince....now you're talking.

6/16/2006 9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Prince in concert in 1997. You know all those crazy teenage fans in old Beatles' newsreels? I always wondered how they could go so crazy over just some guys with instruments. Now I know. If you had footage of the audience at that concert, you'd have seen me going totally batshit psycho with the screaming and the crying and maybe even the peeing on myself. It was so surreal and yet so transcendent. I wanted to put him in my pocket in his 4" heels and shiny purple suit and whip him out at parties to perform for me and my friends. That would have been so cool.

6/16/2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger mr. nice guy said...

rachel -- i saw prince in 1997 too! in washington DC. and i know exactly what you mean about the beatles and the screaming and the peeing -- i was actually going to say something to that effect in this post, that i felt like a 16-year-old girl watching the fab four hit the stage at shea stadium. so weird, those powerful emotions that swarm into your bloodstream. and for what? a perved-out little jehovah's witness. an extremely funky perved-out little jehovah's witness, granted, but a perved-out little jehovah's witness nonetheless.

6/16/2006 10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know why you'd need to reference us to 'more and better' pictures, as yours were Annie Liebowitz quality. (smile)

Sadly I have no idea who this Maceo is. I'm not hip. I am sheltered. Heck, we don't even have cable (collective gasp from the crowd)!

I'm happy you had such a kick-ass concert experience though. And maybe the re-telling of it will make MNG start ovulating all over the place.

6/16/2006 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome . . . if Morris Day and The Time would have come out for the second encore - you could have an entire sequence of funkdom come full circle.

unfortunately I'm pretty sure that Morris is now the softest working man in show business.

- y'know opposite of hardest just doesn't work in that situation.

6/16/2006 11:25 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

maybe mrs. nice guy and i should hook up. i lobbied HARD for ezra.... then we had a girl. and we saddled her with the lovely, comely, youthful name of margaret.

someday she'll wish her name was ezra.

maceo and prince on the same stage? i would have passed out.

6/17/2006 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is amazing, I bet all your babyless friends who did not not want to make the trek will be pissed now.

6/17/2006 11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Man, how exciting!! Prince is my little man. I, too, along with you and Rachel went apeshit crazy over seeing him live in '97. I experienced the same uncontrollable screaming and crying. I caught him again in New Orleans 4 or so years ago jamming it out with Maceo and Candy Dulfer. After the show, back at the hotel, my friend and I shared an elevator ride with a nice, finely dressed gentleman with whom I shared elevator riding chitchat, "Hi, how are you?" "Oh, fine, and yourself?" "Pretty good, thanks." "Have a wonderful evening." "Will do. You, too." And, finely dressed gentleman exits the elevator. Meanwhile, my friend is buried in the corner of the elevator retrieving his jaw from the floor. I'm all, "Hey, what's your deal? Are you having a seizure?" To which he gasps, "Don't you know who you were talking to?" Umm, apparently not. Good ole Maceo, blow your horn, Parker. Guess I didn't regonize him without his horn. :-) I've loved following your blog, but now I have to write you into my will. (sorry for the wordy wordington comment. i could talk for days about prince and company)

6/17/2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger CroutonBoy said...

Holy shit! Why am I not dragging my sorry ass down to Prospect Park more often???

The only time I ever saw Prince was at his club, The Quest, in Minneapolis in '93. That's a lot of funk packed into a very, very, very small body.

Something tells me Lauria Anderson won't have someone that cool as a guest tonight...

6/18/2006 11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So jealous. I heard about the Prince appearance and was insanely missing Brooklyn there, for a minute. Those concerts were always fun.

Last time I saw Prince, I was pregnant with our first. Great show at the Meadowlands.

Love Maceo. Saw him a couple of times over the years.

6/19/2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger (S)wine said...

why y'all hatin' on Ezra? that OTHER famous Ezra ended up in a fucking asylum, in trouble with some government or another. what's wrong with having him as the namesake?

The Cantos rock just as much as Maceo and little-man-from Minneapolis-turned-symbol-turned-back-to-whatever-the-fuck-his-name-is-now.

Oh yea, ditto on the Morris Day & The Time comment.

"Jesse...nah-nah-now Jerome"

6/19/2006 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo! Pass the PRINCE! Pass the PRINCE! Pass the PRINCE like they used to say!

6/19/2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jealous...so very, very jealous.
i live in chicago (known affectionaly by my brooklynite friend as 'little brooklyn on the prairie') but if i had to live in another US city, it'd be brooklyn. love prospect park, too.

6/20/2006 10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard of Maceo, not in my current realm of music, but I went to his website and listed to some music clips....That's some good funk!!! I'm going to date myself a little and say it sounds a little like the 70's again but way better.

6/20/2006 1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ezra? I know a Park Slope realtor named Ezra.

6/20/2006 11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err, Teri, there's a reason for that 70s sound:
"Architect of Funk, Maceo Parker was the favorite James Brown and George Clinton saxophonist." In other words, you've all *heard* Maceo, though you may not have heard his name yet.

6/21/2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger Papa Bradstein said...

Wow. I was going to say that the only thing that would have been better is if he had brought Prince because that song that Maceo's on on 3121 is supersweetfunky.

Then I scrolled down.

Niiice, but too bad about the son. Maybe the next one. Or maybe try pointing out that at least you're not suggesting Prince. See, it could be worse. . .

6/22/2006 1:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW! I thought that I had totally crapped myself when Prince guest appeared on the finals of American Idol. Now THAT'S an Idol. mng that is the BEST encore story I ever heard. For free, no less! My Prince revolution was in 1982 on the 1999 tour. (We thought that 1999 was a long time away!). I swear he gave me the "eye" and we were in the rafters.

And barely related, don't dog Alan Thicke. He didn't do so bad--his son has a hot song produced by Pharell. Whaddaya think mrs. nice guy will think about maybe Pharrell for the name of your next child?

6/22/2006 7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright! That's up there with the time I went to see Buddy Guy and who did he bring out for the encore but Carlos Santana!

6/29/2006 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home