Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Thursday, March 20, 2008

the beard stays, YOU GO!

agh. sorry for the poor posting, people. i probably should have given y'all a heads up that after spending a week in san francisco for nonstop work, i was coming back to new york for all of two days -- for more nonstop work.

and then mrs nice guy and i packed up and went to jamaica. without the kid. for six glorious days. of nonstop chillaxing.

a brief timeline of the past two weeks: i said i was going to SF and indeed i did. i schlepped my wounded knees over there to attend this massive conference about things too dull to get into here, but suffice it to say i was working. a lot. but i did get to do some eatin':

  • lunch at the surprisingly tasty Ducca (in the lobby of the Westin, of all places), stone's throw from Moscone.
  • i dined one night at the decidedly hip -- and delicious -- SPQR (i took a cab there after an aborted attempt to walk found me kicking hypodermic needles on 6th street and feeling vaguely menaced 'round every corner. and here i thought i was an urbane, sophisticated brooklynite only to be scared by a gaggle of latenight SF toughies. i am ashamed.)
  • had lunch at some mediterranean/italian place whose name i can't remember but it starts with a Z and they have their own cookbook because the food is quite tasty.

i spent the rest of my free time hanging out with my good college friend Crazy Legs and her not-quite-so-new-anymore daughter. she lives nearish to haight-ashbury, so i pilgrimaged to Amoeba and picked up a stack of rekkids (ray bryant, chet atkins and jerry reed, abdullah ibrahim, emmylou harris, syreeta). then i remembered that i must be in the vicinity of the Grateful Dead house, so i looked it up on the old blackberry, and indeed i was but a block away. so i paid my respects to 710 ashbury -- a lovingly restored victorian with some crazy mojo. keep on truckin', jerry ... i wonder how much the current occupants hate you.

anyway. i stayed at the new intercontinental hotel and they tell me that i was either the first or second guest to ever stay in the room that i had. i only wish i could have defiled it a little more for the next.

so, yeah. not all that exciting. what was exciting was getting on a plane last week to jamaica. we stayed at a tiny little resorty place in negril. the in-laws drove down and watched the kid while wife and i sat in the sun for six days, arising only to swim, eat or drink. more on that later. first, i must conquer the severe depression i have lapsed into upon returning to my desk and realizing that now i must work.

but first, let me leave you with this -- a grim peek inside my current state of mind:

8 Comments:

Blogger Joy said...

Zuni Cafe. It's right by my house. And sorta famous.

3/20/2008 9:17 PM  
Blogger Fairly Odd Mother said...

Your inlaws rock. In seven years, husband and I have gotten away for two nights to Connecticut. Jamaica sounds like heaven, with better narcotics.

3/20/2008 10:30 PM  
Blogger mr. nice guy said...

YES! zuni cafe. that was it. it was yummy. they make a strong sazerac (but not the best sazerac).

3/20/2008 10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How I miss The Kids in the Hall! I was so sad when it ended. You know, back in 1995. I still think about it from time to time. I think I may have issues...

3/20/2008 11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zuni cafe is about a block and a half away from my house. You must have walked South of Market versus on Market St with re: hypodermics. Didn't the Intercontinental have a concierge?

3/21/2008 12:45 AM  
Blogger Shal said...

Wow.. jealous of y'all going to Jamaica! Hope it was awesome time!

3/21/2008 4:58 AM  
Blogger mr. nice guy said...

janisfan -- i actually got me a ride. good old Crazy Legs picked me up and took me to lunch. the hotel concierge wasn't all too helpful with transportation -- cabs were scarce.

trina -- i hear you. i actually saw the KITH live in DC when they did their reunion tour (in 2000, i think). so, so very awesome.

3/21/2008 11:16 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Reading back through your posts (can't remember which blog pointed me here now, but I'm glad they did!) and I'll be back. Thanks for the Kids in the Hall video, it's a good one. Sounds like you had a great time in San Francisco and Jamaica, but I hope you had a little less trouble shaving your vacation beard when the time came.

3/27/2008 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home