Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Thursday, October 13, 2005

a journalistic first? we report, you decide.

ok fine, i'll bite.

a friend of mine in mormon country asked me if i was planning to authoritatively weigh in on the sunday times' front page story about toilet training seven-month-old babies. my initial response was no. mostly, i replied, i am more inclined to write about things that "render me blind with rage" and this particular article didn't quite make the cut. sure i had seen it, but i couldn't even be bothered to read past the jump.

granted, it's annoying that my child will not be among the new army of uber-kids, toilet trained before they're walking, charting the course of the master race by second grade and in therapy at the age of 10. of course i would prefer it if my daughter were not still besmirching her shorts when she gets to college, but i am not all that angsty over it. frankly, i just don't have the get-up-and-go to start toilet training my five-month-old. i just don't. for those who do, i salute you ... actually, i don't do that either. i just sort of acknowledge that you exist. barely.

but then i got to thinking. this IS a remarkable story. there IS something worth commenting on, after all. this DOES require my searing insight. and here it is:

i could be wrong, but i do believe this is the first time in the history of our "paper of record," the gray lady, that the front page -- prime journalistic real estate! -- prominently featured a photograph of a person sitting on the can.

7 Comments:

Blogger blackrider23 said...

... Wow .. I cant imagine embarking on that this early (I have a 6month old as well). There are enough other things for me to worry about LOL!
Interesting article though.

10/13/2005 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a 4 month old, and I can't say this hasn't crossed my mind. However, neither my wife nor myself really wants to be monitoring every little movement in the hopes that we'll successfully predict his evacuation and get him over the toilet.

10/13/2005 8:27 AM  
Blogger momma of 2 said...

uhm... if they can't verbalize, or use sign language, how does a parent know that the child needs to use the potty chair? IMHO - I think the parents are trained - not the child.

10/13/2005 8:35 AM  
Blogger birthfree said...

It's nice in thought for convenience but why pressure our kids to be grown up ANY faster than we already do? Let kids be kids... we can suck it up and clean diapers for longer to afford them that possibility (and right) otherwise maybe we need to have purchased a dog rather than had kiddlets.

10/13/2005 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally parent training --this was a thing a few years back and i knew parents who did this. it was ridiculous and yes, i'm being totally judgemental. it was super ridiculous when their children started solids. when the parents had "accidents" it was smelly.

10/13/2005 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We cd and my husband was open minded enough to support me on that decision. When I found out about "elimination communication," I used it as an example of just how sane I was in comparison.

By the way, people who use ec usually try to start before the baby is 3 months old, even just a day old.

http://www.natural-wisdom.com/faq.htm

-pie mommy

10/13/2005 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my sis robin hit it on the head. total parent-training. i have a hard enough time figuring out my son's cues for hunger, sleep, etc., without having to throw anything else into the mix.

10/13/2005 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home