Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

sexing the soup dumpling

so tomorrow we're going in for the 20-week sonogram. technically, i guess el preggo is at week 23. but we're both late bloomers, so we figured why not do this thing after our own fashion.

we've decided to go in and find out what the sex of our unborn spawn is. last time around we opted to be surprised. the 10 months of my bridebird's first pregnancy constituted a delicious exercise in suspense, terror, thrills and baited breath. this resulted in a fairly hilarious birth story that we'll be dining out on until our daughter herself gives birth. i'm too lazy to look it up and link to it now, but suffice it to say, it culminated in an orgiastically joyous blood-spilling release of anxiety.

anyway, we're too tired for all that shit this time around. we want to know. we want to know if we have enough hand-me-downs. we want to know what stripe of sibling to tell our first born she should be prepared to torture for the next 80 years. we want as few surprises this time around as our fragile, addled psyches can take.

also, neither of us can agree on a name this time around, so we want to narrow the field of options by half (or, i guess given that we live in park slope, by one-eighth).

so in 12 short hours, i'll know the sex of the sea turtle floating in my spouse's belly. i'll know the flavor of our soup dumpling. i'll know if i'll be spending the rest of my life coming home to a household of lovely ladies ... or son who must ultimately annihilate me (hey dutch, congrats).

i do have some ambivalence about finding out. it just doesn't feel natural. but we are both too tired to resist the ineluctable. we submit. bring it on.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say go for it. We did, with the second one, and it was nice to know.

Congratulations, by the way.

2/20/2008 9:23 AM  
Blogger anonymom said...

Might I suggest some bloodletting at the ultrasound appointment, for consistency's sake?

We found out with our first. Figured it was as much of a surprise at week 20 as at week 40. An unanticipated bonus: taking home an ultrasound picture with an arrow pointing to my daughter's vajay-jay.

Dittos on the congrats!

2/20/2008 11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with anonymom on this one. About the surprise factor at 20 weeks that is. There are no in utero hamburger shots of my two girls.

Anyway.

Best of luck and all that. Somehow I picture you with daughter number two. Then again maybe that's because I so enjoy seeing how my own husband struggles with the fact that his own two delightful daughters will one day grow up. And discover boys. And him without a sharpened axe and a vacant block.

2/20/2008 4:51 PM  
Blogger Challenge 20/20 teams said...

And???

2/20/2008 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could tell you, but I will not.

2/21/2008 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home