Add to Google Subscribe in Bloglines Subscribe in NewsGator Online mr. nice feed Subscribe in Rojo

Sunday, November 20, 2005

i'm going to see the folks i dig; might even kiss a sunset pig

much like robert plant, i am going to california. unlike robert plant, i have no aching in my heart. much like robert plant, i am going because "there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair." unlike robert plant, that girl is my mom.

going home in the morning, y'all. first thanksgiving with my side of the family in almost 10 years. what a long strange trip. ever since 1997, i have been doing the turkey thing on the east coast. since 1998, it has been in vermont. and now the prodigal son returns, with wife and child. let's kill us a fatted calf! ok, fine. i'll settle for a fatted turkey.

last year i wrote an ode to the annual pilgrimage, a humble evocation of chaucer. my verse may not compare to bobby plant's brilliant wordsmithery ("the mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake as the children of the sun began to awake -- seems that the wrath of the gods got a punch on the nose and it started to flow" ... genius!) and this year i have much, much less free time on my hands. so therefore you will have to settle for this smaller offering. a haiku:

o, the raw horror!
airborne with shrieking hellchild.
save me some dark meat.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Safe travels, dude. And here's hoping the horrors of a hellchild are kept to a minimum.

11/21/2005 12:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Joni Mitchell reference... has now triggered her dulcet tones in my mind.

11/21/2005 8:00 AM  
Blogger Neal said...

I will offer a sacrifice to the Gods of airborne babies to speed you on your way.

11/21/2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

my sis is flying to boston from cali today. if your planes pass each other, be sure to wave.

11/21/2005 9:27 AM  
Blogger Ivar said...

secret...slip the mrs. some vicodine...drugged breastmilk!!!! it all equals out to docile baby. evil? yes, indeed, but sane.

11/21/2005 5:21 PM  
Blogger c said...

{lying}Oh, no you'll be *totally* fine; I bet the baby sleeps for the entire trip. Don't worry at.all.{/lying}

11/22/2005 5:02 PM  
Blogger Cattiva said...

I hope the nice guy family had a fabulous holiday trip!!

If you have a minute, there are humiliating turkey day baby pics on my site. I bring this up because I thought you might commiserate with the poor boy.

11/24/2005 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home